Friday 23 December 2011

PASSIVE VOICE

1.Passive of Tense
Present Indefinite Tense
A. She washes the clothes.
P. The clothes are washed by her.
Past Indefinite Tense
A. I called him.
P. He was called by me.
Future Indefinite Tense
A. Raju will receive you.
P. You will be received by Raju.
Present Continuous Tense
A. He is calling me.
P. I am being called by him.
Past Continuous Tense
A. She was scolding her child.
P. Her child was being scolded by her.
Future Continuous Tense
no passive voice.
Present Perfect Tense.
A. They have submitted their fee.
P. Their fee has been submitted by them.
Past Perfect Tense
A. They had bought a bike.
P. A bike had been bought by them.
Future Perfect Tense
A. Rani will have finished her work.
P. Rani's work will have been finished by her.
Note: There is no passive of any Perfect Continuous Tense.
2.Modal Passive
I. (can, may, could, might, must, should, would) + be + 3rd form of verb
II. (ought to, used to, has to/have to, had to, will/shall + have to, is to/are to/am to, was to/were to) + be + 3rd form of verb
III. (should have, could have, would have, might have, must have) + been + 3rd form of verb
A. I can teach you.
P. You can be taught by me.
A. We ought to respect our elders.
P. Our elders ought to be respected by us.
A. You should have informed me.
P. I should have been informed by you.
3. IMPERATIVE PASSIVE VOICE
A. Post the letter.
P. Let the letter be posted. or
P. You are requested to post the letter.
A. Let me go.
P. You are requested to let me go.
4. Infinitive Passive Voice.
A. I want to buy this book.
P. I want this book to be bought.
5. When in an Active Sentence Two objects are given:
A.She gave me a book.
P. I was given a book by her. or
P. A book was given to me by her.
6.In Passive where Object is understood.
A. Somebody picked up my pocket.
P. My pocket was picked up.
A. Police has arrested the criminal.
P. The criminal has been arrested.
A. The judge sentenced him for two years.
P. He was sentenced for two years.
7. Passive Voice without 'by'
A. She surprised her father.
P. Her father was surprised at her.
A. This jug contains milk in it.
P. Milk is contained in this jug.
A. She will marry me.
P. I will be married with her.
8. Prepositional Passive Voice
A. He laughed at me.
P. I was laughed at by him.
A. I was waiting for you.
P. You were being waited for by me.
9. Passive with Wh family words.
A. Who gave you money?
P. By whom you were given money?
10. Passive of Let's
A. Let's go on a picnic.
P. It is suggested that we should go on a picnic.